WHY IS INDOOR AIR QUALITY IMPORTANT?
Today, new homes are well sealed and insulated. They’re energy efficient, but the lack of airflow could cause uncomfortable air conditions inside as the same air is continuously re-circulated throughout your home. This re-circulation can upset your home’s humidity balance and could cause damage from mold. No worries, though, because Temp Air System Inc in La Puente can help you have the best of both worlds: an energy-efficient home that is also comfortable!
A continuous flow of fresh air is key.
Reduce health-threatening pollutants and make your home as comfortable as possible by ensuring a constant flow of fresh air. You might like to open the windows, but that only works in fair weather. Also, open windows can usher more allergens into your home. So what is the answer? A whole home ventilation system mixes fresh outside air in with your conditioned air.
Controlling humidity can improve your comfort and health.
We recommend maintaining your home’s relative humidity levels between 30% and 60% for your best comfort and health. Look for these signs that your home is too humid:
- Regularly damp areas
- Musty odors
- Condensation stains on the ceiling
- Condensation or frost on windows
- Sticky or clammy feeling in the air
- Peeling wallpaper
- You have to turn on your air conditioner more often to stay cool and dry
- You can also have problems with your health and home when the air is too dry. During winter months, indoor relative humidity can be as dry as some of the world’s harshest deserts. If you notice any of these symptoms, the humidity in your home could be too low:
- Frequent allergies or respiratory illnesses
- Scratchy, sore throat or excessive cough
- Dry, irritated nasal passages
- Dry, itchy skin
- Chapped lips
- Static shocks
- Cracked, peeling wallpaper
- Warped or cracked wood
- Damage to household furnishings
What are your options if your home has a humidity imbalance? Call Temp Air System Inc in La Puente at 800-630-0082 or arrange for a consultation online. We’ve got dehumidifiers and humidifiers that will help ensure your home is a comfortable home.
Allergies and Other Health Problems in La Puente could be a Result of Poor Air Quality
Would you consider your home to be healthy? It may not be as healthy as you think. Unseen particles and chemicals circulating through your home’s air may result in headaches and allergy flare-ups. And mold and mildew are known to cause a variety of health problems.
How can I prevent indoor air quality problems?
Lucky for us all, avoiding indoor air quality problems can be relatively easy to do. Just take some of these tips from us:
- Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer among nonsmokers, according to estimates from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Test your home for radon. Go to www.epa.gov to find out more information and to learn if your state free or discounted test kits to the public.
- You should have carbon monoxide alarms installed close to all sleeping areas.
- Insist that your home remains smoke free.
- Dust mites can aggravate allergies and asthma, particularly in children. To reduce them, keep your home clean.
- While even regular cleaning can’t get rid of all dust problems, you can minimize them by installing a whole-home filtration system with a MERV 16 rating, the highest capture efficiency among air cleaners.
- Anything that burns gas should be vented outside of your home.
- Don’t use scented candles or aerosol sprays to mask odors. Rather, you should look for the source of the odor and get rid it.
- Cleaning supplies, paints and hobby products should be low- or no-VOC (volatile organic compound), which are safer for your house and the environment. Ozone is a known lung irritant, so it’s also a good idea to avoid using products that produce it.
- You can help keep humidity levels comfortable using a humidifier or a dehumidifier, depending on your region. Maintain humidity under 50% to inhibit mold and mildew buildup.
- Patch all leaks and cracks in your home.
- Make sure your home is properly ventilated, to stay clear of moisture problems. With a ventilation system, stale, contaminated indoor air is replaced with fresher outside air.
Regularly having your HVAC equipment inspected to noticeably reduce buildup of contaminants or moisture is one more easy way to keep your home healthy. You can call Temp Air System Inc in La Puente at 800-630-0082 or simply make your appointment online.